Selasa, 10 Mei 2011

Shawnee National Forest

Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest.
  • Shawnee National Forest.



  • PlipPlop
    May 6, 06:27 AM
    Wouldn't a new CPU have to be much faster than the equivalent Intel chip to make it worthwhile? Not just equivalent. Wouldn't it have to be able to run previous generation software in emulation for a period of years.

    Yes, Arm would have to make significant performance increases. You would need a faster ARM processor than Intel ones if you want to emulate them. So in a year will Arm have a desktop cpu of emulating Intel's current sandybridge processors at a decent speed. I doubt it very much.





    Shawnee National Forest. Keywords: forest shawnee
  • Keywords: forest shawnee



  • pmz
    Mar 28, 11:48 AM
    My problem isn't necessarily with Apple, my grief is with carriers who have tied most of us in to 2 year fixed contracts. Whether this is due to Apple's insistence, or whether carriers have signed up to the 'yearly cycle' idea, there are thousands of us stuck in the middle here.

    Any 3GS user who bought new and has a 2 year contract (usually because it was the most economical) now has a huge dilemma. Do we switch phones and get new contracts on different phones, or do we go Pay As You Go to cover those 3/4 (potentially more) months?

    Ultimately, if happens, I'll end up going for the new BlackBerry Bold Touch (Dakota), just because I don't want to be strung along for a few months, racking up minutes/text/data costs. It'll be sad, but ultimately, its just a phone I guess...

    NB: ALL OF THE ABOVE IS PREFACED BY AN 'IF THE RUMOUR HAPPENS'!

    I don't see how anyone has a huge dilemma. If you're saying those that bought a 3GS on launch, didn't upgrade last year, and now are at the end of a 2 year have a "problem", that doesn't sound like much of a problem to me.

    Call up AT&T and say your contract is up, you'd like to renew and buy a new iPhone which you qualify for, but you're not buying a new iPhone until iPhone 5 comes out. If they don't allow you a grace period until iPhone 5 is available, tell them you're gone, and that Verizon seems like a good option since AT&T doesn't want you for another 2 years.

    The difference between public policy and what they can/will do for you when you're "threatening" to switch, is very different. The only time you have any leverage to get something you want out of AT&T is a once every two years opportunity when you're contract is up and you have the option of switching.





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest
  • Shawnee National Forest



  • Porchland
    Sep 11, 09:06 AM
    I haven't seen any rumors of this, but I would love to see an Apple-branded Comcast HD/DVR box. My Motorola set-top box already has the killer app that everyone wants to see from a IP-streaming device: HD movies on demand for $4 a pop. But the interface is slow and clunky, and Apple would do a much better job.

    As I've said here before, I'm not all that interested in an iTMS TV/movie store unless it replaces my cable, i.e., gives me most of the TV content I want for a flat monthly rate and movies at $4 each.





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest
  • Shawnee National Forest



  • whmees
    Aug 4, 12:39 AM
    right... so what exactly do i have to do for my relatively new MBP to "accidentally" start encountering "problems" and have to have it sent in to get a replacement?

    ;)





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest
  • Shawnee National Forest



  • dethmaShine
    May 4, 03:10 PM
    The licence is only for one computer.

    If you want to install it on a different machine you must uninstall the original copy first.

    The Mac App Store says:

    "You can install apps on every Mac you use and even download them again."

    That implies that if I go on a friend's computer for 5 minutes once a year I could install Lion on it for no charge.

    If I want, I can install Mac OS X SL or Leopard on a 1000 machines using the same CD. :)





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest (Set)
  • Shawnee National Forest (Set)



  • TequilaBoobs
    Nov 25, 09:19 PM
    i hope apple comes out with a shoe phone, something the pink panther or inspector gadget would use.





    Shawnee National Forest. Cabins in the Shawnee National
  • Cabins in the Shawnee National



  • Multimedia
    Jul 23, 01:53 PM
    I was wondering where you heard that there is going to be a 4 core mobile version of Merom coming Fall '07. Any roadmaps i've read for intel, including that one you linked to (and the Tom's Hardware one) don't mention it. In fact, I didn't even read of a desktop 4 core processor being released until let alone 2007 in a laptop.
    Desktop 4 core processors with 8 MiB L2 cache - called Kentsfield are now planned for release in 4th quarter of this year 2006. Desktop 8 core processors with 12 MiB L2 cache - called Yorkfield are planned for next Spring 2007.

    On the server-worstation front these are the planned processors coming next year and in 2008:
    Woodcrest, first eighth-generation server and workstation chip, 65 nm, dual-core, 4 MiB L2 cache (Released on June 26, 2006)
    Clovertown, quad-core MCM, consists of two Woodcrests, with 2 × 4 MiB L2
    Tigerton, quad-core MCM. MP-capable version of Clovertown.
    Harpertown, either a dual-core, 45 nm shrink of Woodcrest, or an eight-core, 45 nm MCM with 12 MiB L2
    Dunnington, four to thirty-two cores, successor to Tigerton

    I'm wondering where you heard this because I'm getting a MBP for college next summer and if there were quad core MBPs coming out in the fall I would wait.

    (Oh, and if I misinterpreted 4 cores to equal Quad core on a single processor, please clarify what you meant.)4 Mobile Cores In One MBP by end of 2007 Is An Expectation Not A Known Fact. Obviously Intel is not going to project that possability until it knows it can do it sometime next year either possibly by end of 2007 or almost certainly by end of 2008. Sorry for the certain tone of my mention. I put a smillie after that sentence to indicate it was sort of a hopeful joke. :)

    We will all have to wait for the '07 WWDC next summer to tell what's going on for the mobile Macs then. Way too early to tell now. I would just be as patient as possible before you have to pull the trigger for school in the fall of '07. In other words, don't put any weight into my hopeful expectation for 4 cores in a mobile Mac by two years from now.

    I think it will depend on how well the 45nm production process develops as to how soon Intel will feel confident they can put 4 mobile cores with 12-16 MB of L2 cache in one piece of 45nm silicon and still keep it cool and energy efficient. This is a long term hope and dream for me, nothing substantiated by any sources. Not fantasy. But a realistic hopeful expectation that will most likely be fulfilled in 3 years worst case after Core 3 comes to market which will be about 2 years from now. :)

    Each of these Core Families has a life expectancy of about two years of reign plus the half year preceeding early deployment and ramp up.

    Core 2 - late 2006-2008
    Core 3 - late 2008-2010
    Core 4 - late 2010-2012
    etc.

    And each Family represents significant changes in both the processor architecture and the manufacturing process. We will have to see how the Intel long range plan unfolds as planned or not as planned to determine what will be available in long range future. IE - nobody knows for sure. Right now I can't see beyond a 2.33 GHz Merom with the Santa Rosa support set + 802.11n and 10-Gigabit Ethernet next Spring. Can anyone else here see further?





    Shawnee National Forest. at Shawnee National Forest
  • at Shawnee National Forest



  • SheriffParker
    Aug 11, 09:04 AM
    It would be cool for them to keep the yonah in the low-end MacBook. That way with the price drop they could get back to a $999 entry-level notebook.

    Merom definitely in the Black Macbook though, if this is true.

    Great News! Still hoping for a case redesign in the MBP for mine. :)





    Shawnee National Forest. bell smith springs shawnee
  • bell smith springs shawnee



  • NewbieNerd
    Jul 21, 03:59 PM
    there are other improvements besides more cache. core duo 2 has seriously beefed up vector-units, advanced memory prefetch and other goodies. iirc, it should be about 20% faster, clock for clock

    He's not comparing 1's to 2's. 2's are being offered in 2MB and 4MB versions, and those are being compared.





    Shawnee National Forest. shawnee national forest map
  • shawnee national forest map



  • iLunar
    Apr 5, 02:25 PM
    I don't see what the big deal is. Of course Apple is going to try to minimize the risk of the jailbreak community. They want to avoid headlines about spyware and such that creep out of the jailbroken community. It's just good PR.





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest Hosts Training Days for Volunteers. posted Wednesday, February 2, 2010 by Lisa Roper. Training is necessary to insure a safe work
  • Shawnee National Forest Hosts Training Days for Volunteers. posted Wednesday, February 2, 2010 by Lisa Roper. Training is necessary to insure a safe work



  • FluJunkie
    Apr 22, 01:08 AM
    And how do you operate it? A server can be accessed from a workstation but a Mac Pro IS a workstation, it's not a server. It's not a logical step. I have a professional photographer in the family, with a Mac Pro. He needs to load his RAWs onto his Mac for post processing. How to do this if that Mac is in another room, in a rack :confused: Very inconvenient if you ask me.

    It is trivial, in say my case, to SSH into a "workstation" type Mac Pro, say "Noble Mac Pro, run this really computational intensive code, I'll check back in a bit" and then SSH the output back to another machine when it's done. No muss, no fuss.

    Now imagine you have bunches of workstations...





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest;
  • Shawnee National Forest;



  • ftaok
    Apr 7, 02:51 PM
    I can say CONFIDENTLY that the war is NOT over. It's been what 2 years? No way. Apple may have the upper hand in the battle but has NOT won the war.

    What I'm saying is that by the time Android or WebOS or QNX catch up to the iPad, Apple will already be onto the next big thing. Tablets will have peaked, and the weak players will have dropped out.

    So instead of following Apple and forever having your products known as iPad killers, why not spend the money that you'd put into designing mediocre tablets into creating the next device? I'm sure that Sammy, Moto, RIM, etc all have some budget to develop the next generation of devices, but I think they need to spend a lot more on the R&D.

    For instance, when netbooks were all the rage, everyone was demanding that Apple come up with their own netbook. For whatever reason, Apple wasn't (and still isn't) in the netbook market. Instead, they spent their energies (and money) developing the successor to the netbook. In hindsight, we should have all seen it coming. Jobs even said that Apple couldn't make a decent 'computer' for less than $500. Apple was busy creating the iPad to be that device that folks would shell out $500 for. Genius.

    So instead of waging a long, drawn out war against Apple for a small slice of the tablet market, work on making the successor to the tablet.





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest.
  • Shawnee National Forest.



  • toddybody
    May 4, 09:21 PM
    (yes, my Internet in the 90s on was cable, at something like 8 Mbps).



    8Mbps in the 90's? I've got 12 now and think that's wonderful...you're probable one of those Xfinity snobs:rolleyes: jk. Wow, I knew non US ISPs push some serious speed...idk why Amurika can't get none a dat goodnis





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest;
  • Shawnee National Forest;



  • ericinboston
    Apr 26, 04:38 PM
    A few reasons why Android is beating iPhone:

    1)Android has always been, and always will be, on tons of cell carriers. Apple? Not until their 4th "generation" of their phone (5 years I think) has Apple allowed other carriers other than AT&T. Oh, and right now it's still just ATT and Verizon. Thus millions of consumers have been able to buy the Android on their current/favorite cell carrier.

    2)Android phones come from various manufacturers with different pricepoints and different designs. Apple is Apple. I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the fact that there are more choices again for potential Android customers at the phone level.

    3)Although I love my 3GS, I've seen a few family members (who actually WANTED the iPhone but Verizon simply didn't have it so they got the Android) with Androids and I have to say it's pretty darn good.

    4)AntennaGate...whether you believe it or not...was the talk of the world for several months in 2010...bad PR on many levels for Apple when the Android was making its debut. Apple's crappy response after response made Apple look like Scrooge. Apple gives away $0.89 "bumpers" to limited users for a limited time and that, in Apple's eyes, makes everything good. What a joke...and nobody was laughing.

    5)iPhone 5...nobody knows when but best reports are Sep 2011 (5 months from now)...I think many people with an iPhone 3GS or non-smartphone who want a smartphone don't want to buy a last year's full-price iPhone 4 right now WHILE THEY MAY POSSIBLY HAVE TO CHOOSE a new phone/contract and are opting to try Android. My ATT contract expires in Sep this year and I have to say, I ain't waiting later than Thanksgiving for the iPhone 5...a)I want off ATT and b)There will be plenty of Androids out in Thanksgiving that will blow away my iPhone 3GS.


    Again, overall I love my iPhone 3GS. I think the 4 has much better camera/video quality and Facetime but that's really it. Hopefully iPhone 5 will have a much sweeter camera, some major iOS enhancements (features), and larger storage for the phones (32GB min, 64GB) WHILE COSTING LESS.





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest
  • Shawnee National Forest



  • RKpro
    Apr 26, 02:48 PM
    It's not about which is better. It's about availability and pricing.

    Apple only makes high end phones, and carriers that offer the iPhone don't hesitate to maintain premium pricing on services.

    Android is wide open to every manufacturer, so Android is able to fill every price range, and every carrier. I bet the majority of those Androids occupying the 37% share are not high end phones, but the stuff that is sold for $0-$100 on contract.

    I'm using an Android phone because the iPhone is not compatible with my carrier of choice, but if I had the option, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. (Hoping iPhone 5 includes AWS/1700 GSM band)





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest.
  • Shawnee National Forest.



  • bigandy
    Nov 26, 11:11 AM
    i don't think it would appeal to that many people, to have an apple tablet.

    i mean, the PC/Win versions aren't great sellers...





    Shawnee National Forest. Illinois Audubon protects jewel in the Shawnee National Forest. April 24, 2011 at 07:59 AM. CHRIS YOUNG. The State Journal-Register
  • Illinois Audubon protects jewel in the Shawnee National Forest. April 24, 2011 at 07:59 AM. CHRIS YOUNG. The State Journal-Register



  • toddybody
    Apr 25, 08:53 AM
    I have to respectfully disagree. Having a large monitor in a small compact desktop form factor was important to me. I have very limited deskspace, even less floorspace, and a variety of needs for the large monitor. You may call this "form", but as far as I am concerned, this is "functionality", since a larger package forces me to make other compromise in my life.

    Thats a totally valid point:)




    Shawnee National Forest. Archive »
  • Archive »



  • skunk
    Sep 11, 04:56 AM
    You 'ad wheelbarrows and paper! Y'soft southern nancies...We 'ad to remember the binary code in our 'eads and if we got one number wrong our dads would kill us and dance on our shallow graves...You were lucky! We didn't have dads in my day.





    Shawnee National Forest. Shawnee National Forest
  • Shawnee National Forest



  • Multimedia
    Jul 23, 02:31 PM
    I aggree that Apple will only use two speeds in the upgraded MBP... but it'll be the slower two speeds. Even tho' Merom is supposed to be more energy efficent than Yonah, Apple will opt for the "cooller" lower speed cpus in the MBP. Similarly, when the "cut-down" Meroms come out (slower and smaller L2 cache), they'll be the CPUs used in the MacBook and Mac mini.

    As an aside, TFA states that Merom will be used in the MBP.... which is true, but Apple are also going to use it in an updated iMac too :-)I will be very surprised if Apple doesn't use the 2.16 & 2.33 GHz Meroms in the next MacBook Pros to fully separate them in speed from the 2GHz MacBook. 2.33 Merom should be as cool as the 2.16 Yonah no?

    What is TFA? Link?





    reflex
    Jul 22, 11:10 AM
    As soon as core 2 merom comes out every pc notebook will have it.

    This is simply not true. Even though Core Duo has been out for about half a year, a lot of pc laptops are still sold with Pentium-M or Celeron-M cpus.

    MacBook can keep the Core Duo for a while longer (until November, for example).





    ghostlyorb
    Mar 29, 07:50 PM
    Even though it's sad to everyone who wants to buy an iPod.. I'll refuse to complain about it. Japan was crippled by the earthquake. Japan is in our prayers!





    LordTyroxx
    Apr 5, 02:21 PM
    The people that are against apple here (and want the advertisement to stay) are the same people that are so against iAds. It's quite ridiculous. I find it extremely odd that a large company be a part of the jailbreak community to begin with. They could've used iAd and had much more success anyway. That theme is ugly. I don't want advertisements on my iphone if i jailbreak it. That's stupid. If i want a scion theme, there's probably 25 other people that have made better ones. So it's a moot point. Get your panties out of a wad.

    I do give toyota props for having the balls to put something out on a jailbroken iphone. It's inventive and sneaky.

    I think the only way people on here would be happy is if there was a little toggle on their iphone that switched between, I HAVE THE FREEDOM TO VIEW ADVERTISEMENTS, and ADVERTISEMENTS TAKE AWAY MY FREEDOM!





    wclyffe
    Feb 3, 11:39 AM
    I purchased the TOMTOM app early on and paid $99 for it. One week later, I found it posted in the App Store for $49.99 and today, a couple of weeks after that, the price is $59.99. I have searched the App Store site, iTunes Store AND the Apple site and do not understand how to find a Customer Service Link to ask about a refund for the difference in price. Does anyone know how to reach Customer Service for the APP Store? Thanks in advance...

    Would love to know if you received some sort of a refund from Apple or TomTom....let us know.





    DakotaGuy
    May 6, 12:44 AM
    Another option:

    they may include an instant-on iOS in addition to an intel OSX environment. Several other manufacturers have done something similar.

    Unless they want to make you pay for something you don't need... not necessary. The new Intel Macs that are being released right now have so much power that they could run every iOS app in emulated mode and the processor would hardly even notice it. That's today. Imagine where Intel will be in a couple of years? An ARM chip sitting next to an Intel powerhouse is not needed. As far as being instant on... I'd say my iMac wakes up from a sleep just about as fast as my iPad.



    Tidak ada komentar:

    Posting Komentar