nagromme
Aug 25, 03:22 PM
It would be a shame to Apple toss aside its consistent record of having the industry's best support.
But it takes more than a few weeks of anonymous "uptick" to indicate such a dire turn of events.
Now, if such a thing did come to pass, I welcome every complaint and flame Apple can get: feedback is what gets them back on track.
And it's a shame about the discussion staff--seems like an odd move from where I'm standing.
But it takes more than a few weeks of anonymous "uptick" to indicate such a dire turn of events.
Now, if such a thing did come to pass, I welcome every complaint and flame Apple can get: feedback is what gets them back on track.
And it's a shame about the discussion staff--seems like an odd move from where I'm standing.

stormj
Aug 11, 01:41 PM
Here are some of the issues with the iPod phone.
In order to make the biggest splash, it will have to be available in both GSM and CDMA versions so that all of the big 4 carriers can use it. GSM is the international standard, so I'm sure they will have that *at least*.
In order for it to matter, it will have to be able to access the music store over the air. Have you tried downloading an MP3 file, even on an EDGE connection? It sucks.
The delay here has more to do with the networks. Until the 3G networks are fully rolled out (EV-DO on Verizon, UTMS on GSM, etc. etc.) and available beyond a few cities, this phone will just frustrate people. (Verizon's rollout has gone much further, but I would think given that CDMA is rare outside of the US that that fails to compensate for the fact that the GSM 3G is still in just a few markets.)
The latest rumor is that wide-spread UTMS roll out will be in Q1 2007. When that happens, we'll see an iPod phone. It's not as if Apple couldn't have made an Apple-rific phone by now. The limitation isn't theirs, it's the networks'.
In the meantime, you can get an HTC Tytn that will use 3G world wide and will play MediaPlayer... if you're into M$.
In order to make the biggest splash, it will have to be available in both GSM and CDMA versions so that all of the big 4 carriers can use it. GSM is the international standard, so I'm sure they will have that *at least*.
In order for it to matter, it will have to be able to access the music store over the air. Have you tried downloading an MP3 file, even on an EDGE connection? It sucks.
The delay here has more to do with the networks. Until the 3G networks are fully rolled out (EV-DO on Verizon, UTMS on GSM, etc. etc.) and available beyond a few cities, this phone will just frustrate people. (Verizon's rollout has gone much further, but I would think given that CDMA is rare outside of the US that that fails to compensate for the fact that the GSM 3G is still in just a few markets.)
The latest rumor is that wide-spread UTMS roll out will be in Q1 2007. When that happens, we'll see an iPod phone. It's not as if Apple couldn't have made an Apple-rific phone by now. The limitation isn't theirs, it's the networks'.
In the meantime, you can get an HTC Tytn that will use 3G world wide and will play MediaPlayer... if you're into M$.
err404
Apr 25, 02:31 PM
Obviously this IS an issue; just not a very big one. Considering the low quality of the data and the nature if what is stored, it is not well suited for tracking user whereabouts with any level of confidence.
Apple does need to address this, but I don't see any malicious intent. The data serves a valuable function for the user and is not collected by Apple.
Apple does need to address this, but I don't see any malicious intent. The data serves a valuable function for the user and is not collected by Apple.
parapup
Apr 11, 12:13 PM
Apple really needs to make some significant changes to iOS5 to bring me back this time.
For me those changes would be -
a) Check box that says "Allow app installs from unknown sources"
b) Mind blowing notification system - never before seen preferably, but something that even remotely competes with webOS would do
c) Widgets
d) Bigger screen - although this is not iOS specific, a iOS5 that does some magic with bigger screen is what I am looking for.
Tough gig Apple - doesn't hurt to try :)
For me those changes would be -
a) Check box that says "Allow app installs from unknown sources"
b) Mind blowing notification system - never before seen preferably, but something that even remotely competes with webOS would do
c) Widgets
d) Bigger screen - although this is not iOS specific, a iOS5 that does some magic with bigger screen is what I am looking for.
Tough gig Apple - doesn't hurt to try :)
Mac Kiwi
Jul 21, 07:24 AM
I've already got one. A SuperMac C500 to be precise! (Well, actually it's an Apus 2000, but in the US it was the C500).
SuperMac was the brandname UMAX used for thier Mac clones. Check out
http://home.earthlink.net/~supermac_insider/
:)
Ok SuperMac is definitely out then :)
SuperMac was the brandname UMAX used for thier Mac clones. Check out
http://home.earthlink.net/~supermac_insider/
:)
Ok SuperMac is definitely out then :)
michaelrjohnson
Jul 27, 10:03 AM
Rule 1 of Apple Events:
You never get all the marbles.
Very very wise, Chundles. You are correct.
(In other words, they're always disappointing on some level to someone.) :)
You never get all the marbles.
Very very wise, Chundles. You are correct.
(In other words, they're always disappointing on some level to someone.) :)
twoodcc
Nov 12, 06:09 PM
Here's the official release notice from Sony.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/12/gran-turismo-5-release-date-confirmed-for-november-24th-2010/
as well as the car list and the track list.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/local/jp/data1/products/gt5/carlist_en.html
http://www.gran-turismo.com/local/jp/data1/products/gt5/courselist_en.html
I'm disappointed the Bugatti Veyron is standard only, and not surprised there's no Porsches, since I believe the license to use Porsches are exclusive to EA, no other game from any company really has them. But, I am hoping that GT5 will be released on the 24th, for real this time, instead of being pushed back for the 40,000,001st time.
thanks for the links! now i gotta decide if i wanna preorder or not
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/12/gran-turismo-5-release-date-confirmed-for-november-24th-2010/
as well as the car list and the track list.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/local/jp/data1/products/gt5/carlist_en.html
http://www.gran-turismo.com/local/jp/data1/products/gt5/courselist_en.html
I'm disappointed the Bugatti Veyron is standard only, and not surprised there's no Porsches, since I believe the license to use Porsches are exclusive to EA, no other game from any company really has them. But, I am hoping that GT5 will be released on the 24th, for real this time, instead of being pushed back for the 40,000,001st time.
thanks for the links! now i gotta decide if i wanna preorder or not
Trowaman
Aug 7, 01:22 AM
Ok, my predictions:
Leopard (iChat 4.0 ready to go for the iPhone)
Mac Pro
XServe (MacServe?)
new displays (iSights and probably IR. If I get my wish, S-Video and RCA in)
Paris: All about the iTunes and iPod ending with Steve saying available worldwide "except here." Possible iPhone here.
the other 4 Macs will be upgraded at some point going into Q1 with MBP and iMac getting Core 2 and MB and Minis getting the top Core Duos.
Leopard (iChat 4.0 ready to go for the iPhone)
Mac Pro
XServe (MacServe?)
new displays (iSights and probably IR. If I get my wish, S-Video and RCA in)
Paris: All about the iTunes and iPod ending with Steve saying available worldwide "except here." Possible iPhone here.
the other 4 Macs will be upgraded at some point going into Q1 with MBP and iMac getting Core 2 and MB and Minis getting the top Core Duos.
Cachiro
Apr 6, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=
Xoom.... I say Fail.
[/QUOTE]
Popeye, you hit a nail on the head.
:D
Xoom.... I say Fail.
[/QUOTE]
Popeye, you hit a nail on the head.
:D
skunk
Mar 22, 07:59 PM
Probably, but it was certainly orchestrated to look anything but. Sarkozy was very obliging in shooting his mouth off, as was Cameron. It may have just been luck, but if so it was a remarkable piece of luck to have 4 submarines, a flagship-capable surface ship and all necessary support in the right place at the right time. These things don't travel very fast.
thworple
Sep 12, 11:19 AM
Its good to know that you will be able to drop in the new processors into an exisiting Mac Pro.
Expensive.... but good to know.
Expensive.... but good to know.
Westside guy
Nov 28, 07:01 PM
And I don't understand why they should...Can somebody explain it?
One of the Universal powers-that-be said a week or two ago (my paraphrase until I can locate the original) "Everyone knows that those devices are all about storing stolen music. This is our way of getting some of that revenue back."
I realize there are a lot of people that use bittorrent and the like, but I'd like to believe there are also a lot of people like me. My music is pretty much all legal. After ITMS came online I went and purchased copies of the (reasonably few) songs that I had at one time obtained illegally. The vast majority of my music is actually ripped from my CDs, which were all purchased legally.
Edit: From a NY Times article about the Zune (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/09/technology/09music.html?ex=1164862800&en=12038e7b077c3762&ei=5070): “It’s a major change for the industry,” said David Geffen, the entertainment mogul who more than a decade ago sold the record label that bears his name to Universal. “Each of these devices is used to store unpaid-for material. This way, on top of the material people do pay for, the record companies are getting paid on the devices storing the copied music.”
One of the Universal powers-that-be said a week or two ago (my paraphrase until I can locate the original) "Everyone knows that those devices are all about storing stolen music. This is our way of getting some of that revenue back."
I realize there are a lot of people that use bittorrent and the like, but I'd like to believe there are also a lot of people like me. My music is pretty much all legal. After ITMS came online I went and purchased copies of the (reasonably few) songs that I had at one time obtained illegally. The vast majority of my music is actually ripped from my CDs, which were all purchased legally.
Edit: From a NY Times article about the Zune (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/09/technology/09music.html?ex=1164862800&en=12038e7b077c3762&ei=5070): “It’s a major change for the industry,” said David Geffen, the entertainment mogul who more than a decade ago sold the record label that bears his name to Universal. “Each of these devices is used to store unpaid-for material. This way, on top of the material people do pay for, the record companies are getting paid on the devices storing the copied music.”
2IS
Apr 8, 08:09 PM
I never said I considered it overpriced.
I was making a point that it's now underpowered for some users and less powerful than the previous model.
And another point... I'm not really blaming Apple. Obviously, it's Intel's fault for forcing the Intel graphics on Apple, among other companies that plan to use the new CPUs and Intel logic boards.
For many people with the current model, the new Macbook Air will be a downgrade unless you really need some of the other new features.
Intel is not forcing anything. You want dedicated graphics get a MBP which has Sandy Bridge + discrete graphics chipset. The MBA is for portability and Apple decided (not forced) to use the Sandy Bridge IGP which makes sense. For the majority of people buying the MBA, SB will offer up better performance than C2D+320M.
Then you always have the option of "waiting" for Ivy Bridge
I was making a point that it's now underpowered for some users and less powerful than the previous model.
And another point... I'm not really blaming Apple. Obviously, it's Intel's fault for forcing the Intel graphics on Apple, among other companies that plan to use the new CPUs and Intel logic boards.
For many people with the current model, the new Macbook Air will be a downgrade unless you really need some of the other new features.
Intel is not forcing anything. You want dedicated graphics get a MBP which has Sandy Bridge + discrete graphics chipset. The MBA is for portability and Apple decided (not forced) to use the Sandy Bridge IGP which makes sense. For the majority of people buying the MBA, SB will offer up better performance than C2D+320M.
Then you always have the option of "waiting" for Ivy Bridge

wmmk
Aug 27, 12:16 AM
PowerBook G5 next tuesday?
that is so not funny at all any more:rolleyes:
that is so not funny at all any more:rolleyes:

ChrisA
Sep 13, 10:54 AM
Arrays of cheap RAM on a PCIe card?
The RAM companies don't seem interested in making wodges of slow cheap hi-cap ram, only in bumping up the speed and upping the capacity. For the last 10 years, a stick of decent RAM has always been about �100/ $100 no matter what the capacity / flavour of the moment is.
Even slow RAM is still orders of magnitude faster than a HD, hence my point. There's various historical and technical factors as to why we have the current situation.
I've also looked at RAID implementations (I run a RAID5) but each RAID level has its own problems.
I've recently seen that single-user RAID3 might be one way forward for the desktop, but don't really know enough about it yet.
The reason for the RAM improvoments in speed and size are that RAM (not CPU) is the main bottle neck in preformance. A CPU can only execute instructions as fast as they can be pulled out of RAM. Now you go and put multiple cores inthe box and the demand on RAM doubles.
As for RAID. I think the way forward is Sun's "ZFS" file system. There was talk of that moving into Mac OSX and we know it is being ported to BSD Unix and Linux. Basically ZFS makes the RAID layer just go away
Read more here...
http://www.sun.com/2004-0914/feature/index.html
Sun has released this as Open Source. so it will get ported around to other OSes. I hear Sun's Dtrace is already in Leopard
The RAM companies don't seem interested in making wodges of slow cheap hi-cap ram, only in bumping up the speed and upping the capacity. For the last 10 years, a stick of decent RAM has always been about �100/ $100 no matter what the capacity / flavour of the moment is.
Even slow RAM is still orders of magnitude faster than a HD, hence my point. There's various historical and technical factors as to why we have the current situation.
I've also looked at RAID implementations (I run a RAID5) but each RAID level has its own problems.
I've recently seen that single-user RAID3 might be one way forward for the desktop, but don't really know enough about it yet.
The reason for the RAM improvoments in speed and size are that RAM (not CPU) is the main bottle neck in preformance. A CPU can only execute instructions as fast as they can be pulled out of RAM. Now you go and put multiple cores inthe box and the demand on RAM doubles.
As for RAID. I think the way forward is Sun's "ZFS" file system. There was talk of that moving into Mac OSX and we know it is being ported to BSD Unix and Linux. Basically ZFS makes the RAID layer just go away
Read more here...
http://www.sun.com/2004-0914/feature/index.html
Sun has released this as Open Source. so it will get ported around to other OSes. I hear Sun's Dtrace is already in Leopard
Sydde
Mar 17, 01:48 PM
Ultra FAIL fear mongering. Libertarian ≠ Anarchist. Small government ≠ no government. Limiting government with constitutional constraints ≠ destruction of government.
He's a common sense constitutional conservative, enemy of tyranny everywhere, and an unfailing defender of fundamental human liberty.
OK, I confess, "shut down" was a slight exaggeration. But as the paragon of neo-liberalism, Paul would wholly gut every little regulatory agency that provides any kind of buffer that protects people and businesses from the depredations of corporate interests, instead electing to enact policies that would protect corporations from the depredations of people. That would be the net effect of his idealism, and if you take five minutes to read the article I linked to, it will become evident that Paul's lasseiz-faire ideals have been proven to fail miserably (unless you are already loaded). Heck, we have seen parallels in the lingering devastation caused by Reagan's policies.
He's a common sense constitutional conservative, enemy of tyranny everywhere, and an unfailing defender of fundamental human liberty.
OK, I confess, "shut down" was a slight exaggeration. But as the paragon of neo-liberalism, Paul would wholly gut every little regulatory agency that provides any kind of buffer that protects people and businesses from the depredations of corporate interests, instead electing to enact policies that would protect corporations from the depredations of people. That would be the net effect of his idealism, and if you take five minutes to read the article I linked to, it will become evident that Paul's lasseiz-faire ideals have been proven to fail miserably (unless you are already loaded). Heck, we have seen parallels in the lingering devastation caused by Reagan's policies.
MadeTheSwitch
Apr 27, 08:31 AM
He shouldn't have given in to the racists. But it's out there. Now will Donald Trump and all of these other racist *******s please shut the hell up?
Of course they won't. Now they will state that it isn't real, no doubt. But that's fine. The more that Trump crows about such issues, the more foolish he makes himself and the entire Republican party look.
Of course they won't. Now they will state that it isn't real, no doubt. But that's fine. The more that Trump crows about such issues, the more foolish he makes himself and the entire Republican party look.
gwangung
Apr 25, 03:07 PM
Location services is not the same as storing every place you've ever been.
Why does the db never get cleared?
If location info is required for an app, why would I want to use info from possibly over a year ago that may no longer be accurate?
I won't put on a tinfoil hat just yet. For now I'll just chalk this issue up to sloppy programming. ;)
Apple still fails to answer the question of "why?"
Why do they need it if it is not used?
I know why a web browser has a cache. At least the web browser is smart enough to clean that up after a while.
While I would also like to know why, I'm not sure this is a big deal as it seems to me that the remedy to going to be very simple: a) encryption is on by default, and/or b) flushing the database after, say, six months.
Why does the db never get cleared?
If location info is required for an app, why would I want to use info from possibly over a year ago that may no longer be accurate?
I won't put on a tinfoil hat just yet. For now I'll just chalk this issue up to sloppy programming. ;)
Apple still fails to answer the question of "why?"
Why do they need it if it is not used?
I know why a web browser has a cache. At least the web browser is smart enough to clean that up after a while.
While I would also like to know why, I'm not sure this is a big deal as it seems to me that the remedy to going to be very simple: a) encryption is on by default, and/or b) flushing the database after, say, six months.
anim8or
Sep 19, 06:14 AM
Apple is beyond critique! Omg! :rolleyes:
Its not so much that you criticise apple, hell no company is perfect and they all deserve a little criticism...
...its more how you take the piss out of everyone else's post.
I used to find your posts funny when you were critical but now i cringe whenever i see that you have posted 'cos 9/10 times you will be insulting someone.
Lighten up a little.
Its not so much that you criticise apple, hell no company is perfect and they all deserve a little criticism...
...its more how you take the piss out of everyone else's post.
I used to find your posts funny when you were critical but now i cringe whenever i see that you have posted 'cos 9/10 times you will be insulting someone.
Lighten up a little.
Jimmy James
Apr 6, 02:12 PM
I used to own an iPad 1, gave it away, didn't want an iPad 2. Why do I need two devices of the same OS where the UI was designed for the iPhone (smaller device) to begin with?
As was pointed out by a previous poster, iOS was developed for tablet use.
Perhaps you should own an iPad and an Android phone?
As was pointed out by a previous poster, iOS was developed for tablet use.
Perhaps you should own an iPad and an Android phone?
�algiris
Mar 26, 02:25 AM
Been on Lion for the past month and I can't see myself going back to Snow Leopard.
Same here. Buggy as hell, but i like what i see.
Same here. Buggy as hell, but i like what i see.
gkarris
Apr 7, 10:44 PM
I was at an Apple store and I saw a salesperson holding one new in the box and was just taking it to the back.
The sign up front said "iPads available every morning at 9:00 am".
I think that says it all... :eek:
I work in retail - if we have a product, we'll sell it (why would we deny a customer or "make them come back the next morning to wait in a line"?).
The sign up front said "iPads available every morning at 9:00 am".
I think that says it all... :eek:
I work in retail - if we have a product, we'll sell it (why would we deny a customer or "make them come back the next morning to wait in a line"?).
mdelvecchio
Mar 31, 03:22 PM
John Gruber would eat Steve Job's ***** if he could. His opinion is extremely biased.
not really. he hails them when they do good, he faults them when they dont. google it.
and this -- is the definition of hypocrisy. will Rubin tweet that his first-ever-tweet is now broken and untrue?
not really. he hails them when they do good, he faults them when they dont. google it.
and this -- is the definition of hypocrisy. will Rubin tweet that his first-ever-tweet is now broken and untrue?
Amazing Iceman
Mar 23, 08:45 AM
Is MacRumors branching out to coverage of all tablets and media players now? I can't speak for everyone who visits the site but I come here to read about Apple products, not the competition's knock-offs.
True, but it's always good to know about what's out there to avoid 'falling for temptation'.
When the iPad came out, I thought it was just a toy, and was excited about the 'other' tablets coming out, which in the end never saw the light of day.
It was on part due to my regular visits to the MacRumors website and forums that I got the incentive to go buy an iPad, under the premises that ifnI didn't like, I would return it. And I still haven't.
I have been able to see other tablets too, but none really catched my attention. Some felt like cheap plastic, others had a display that was too small, etc. So far, I want an iPad2, but while I wait for it to become easily available, I don't mind reading and trying other tablets. So far all that keeps showing how great the iPad is.
True, but it's always good to know about what's out there to avoid 'falling for temptation'.
When the iPad came out, I thought it was just a toy, and was excited about the 'other' tablets coming out, which in the end never saw the light of day.
It was on part due to my regular visits to the MacRumors website and forums that I got the incentive to go buy an iPad, under the premises that ifnI didn't like, I would return it. And I still haven't.
I have been able to see other tablets too, but none really catched my attention. Some felt like cheap plastic, others had a display that was too small, etc. So far, I want an iPad2, but while I wait for it to become easily available, I don't mind reading and trying other tablets. So far all that keeps showing how great the iPad is.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar